Why do some updates skip proposed? (launchpad bug 589163)

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 12:13:53 UTC 2010

Err thanks... my bad with the Android client ;-)

Speaking with regard to this update in particular the patch that broke kvm
on certain systems was to fix a kvm security issue cve-2010-0419.

The fix was to revert the patch that dealt with the error until a better
patch can be developed...

The consideration of the gentleman that carried out triage is that the kvm
security issue described is relatively minor and thus waiting for a better
fix for that cve is okay.

But taking that point... if the severity is sufficiently minor to take that
stance why risk rushing it through as a security update especially on an lts
release in the first place? One would think for severity medium to minor
following the standard update procedure of ppa to proposed to updates would
suffice and provide a higher level of qa.

James

Sent from Android mobile

On Jun 4, 2010 10:12 AM, "Arand Nash" <ienorand at gmail.com> wrote:

On 04/06/10 02:36, James Hogarth wrote:
> Given the nature of the regression in this case even 12 to...
Just an fyi, it seems you sent this to me personally, and not to the
mailing list as well, might want to send it there just to keep the
discussion going ;)

- arand