Focus of the introduction for programmers

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 30 12:39:20 UTC 2010

Hi Sense

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Sense Hofstede <sense at qense.nl> wrote:
> Maybe then we should add pointers to information about contributing to
> upstream projects.
> However, the Ubuntu Website, Ubuntu Drupal, Lernid, Apport,
> Desktopcouch, *Indicator, Jockey and many other projects could also be
> listed.

I agree with what you're saying, although imho if you're serious about
becoming an Ubuntu contributor on any type of technical level you'll
probably want to learn packaging. You might not want to do sponsorship
work or merges or anything MOTU-specific, but knowing how to provide
patches and being able to upload your own code and bug fixes seems
very useful. I think they should be pointed to packaging in addition
to what you propose above, and also other tools that are used across
Ubuntu such as bzr.

-Jonathan