Grub2 stops in the menu and waits for keypress after dirty power-off

Chris Jones chrisjones at comcen.com.au
Thu Jan 14 01:34:55 UTC 2010

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:25:37 +0100
> From: Petr Jake? <petr.jakes at tpc.cz>
> Subject: Grub2 stops in the menu and waits for keypress after dirty
> 	power-off
> To: ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com
> Cc: Dufek Pavel <pavel.dufek at tpc.cz>
>
> Hi,
> We have made a clean install minimal install of the
> ubuntu-9.10-server-i386.
>
> After the dirty power off (PC disconnected from the electricity when Ubuntu
> was working - no halt command issued before the electricity disconnecting)
> Grub2 stops in the menu and requires manual action (pressing the Enter key).
>
> We have found this a real pain for the server. Our point of view is server
> has to (always) start without any manual assistance.
>
> It was really not easy to find the solution
>
> We think even if Grub2 stops in the menu, it has to signalize somehow why.
> Or the server distro has to have different boot-up behavior than desktop.
>
> Regards
>
> Petr

********************************

May I ask why you are turning the poweroff on your server anyway?

What kind of server are you running that requires a poweroff?

I know this beside the point, but I'm just curious as to why you'd
choose to switch it off.

Cheers.

--
Chris Jones <linuxdynamix at comcen.com.au>