Making Resolution Setting More User-Friendly

Craig Van Degrift displayres at yosemitefoothills.com
Fri Jan 1 00:13:20 UTC 2010

I have been troubled by how confusing it can be for new users of
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu to get their old display hardware showing higher
resolution.  I have attempted to write a WWW page that is designed to help
these newbies as well as confused old-timers like myself.  Could anyone
interested in helping with this look at

http://yosemitefoothills.com/UbuntuLucidDisplayNotes.html

and give me feedback.  A mailto link is given at the end.

What I would really like to see is some install option or script that would be
offered when EDID fails or when the X Window System knows that the
installation is questionable.  Such choices could be placed in the Display
application already offered to set resolutions.