Including usb-modeswitch in default installation?

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 10:08:24 UTC 2010

2010/2/25 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> 2010/2/25 Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com>:
>> By the way, reading all materials, I just thought - usb-modeswitch now
>> has nice udev wrapper - why not ship it by default? Why it isn't in
>> main? Is there any objections to this? Patents, legal issues (I can't
>> think of any, but still)?
>
> I think this is where come back to the beginning of this discussion :)
> Ubuntu core developers would like to follow upstream, and it's
> currently not yet clear enough what's the usptream direction (or what
> upstream we are actually talking about). Josh from usb-modeswitch is
> making the point that modem-modeswitch upstream has abandoned its
> development already, and that (at least some) kernel developers would
> like to see some of the things done in userspace like usb-modeswitch
> is doing. So I guess a positive round of discussion on the
> linux-hotplug mailing list Scott now pointed out would be what's
> needed to get some backing up to what Josh is thinking, and then
> Ubuntu could follow the direction most parties seem to agree with.
>
> At least for Ubuntu 10.10, but also if the current situation is not
> really wisely supportable from LTS point of view, freeze exception for
> even 10.04 LTS. There is only very little time, though.
>
> -Timo

Ok, wisely or not I dropped message to hotplug mailing list about this
question. Let's see what happens. :)

More or less this question would be nice to have freeze exception,
because USB mobile dongles are that important. It could be main
selling point for netbooks with Netbook edition.

Cheers,
Peter.