Upstart? Plymouth?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 24 17:50:44 UTC 2010

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> This is a bug that I'm working on.
>
> The problem is there's no code in Plymouth to put the VT back ;-)

And probably way to busy to work on documentation.  At some point it
would be nice to have a better understanding of how upstart works.  The
concept of an event driven init replacement isn't completely jelling in
my little peanut brain; even more so as a replacement for cron/anacron.

For example, in /etc/init/networking.conf one finds

start on (local-filesystems
           and stopped udevtrigger)

Hookay, but what/where is "local-filesystems"?  I can't find a conf file
for this in /etc/init, although there is one for udevtrigger.

Right now in Lucid things are a bit of a mess, with a bunch of stuff in
/etc/init and a bunch of other very similar stuff in /etc/init.d.  Not a
problem of course if everything just works flawlessly right out of the
box so that I don't even have to think about it, but.....  <:)