Removing Ubuntu releases, just Ubuntu (Aitor Pazos)

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Fri Feb 5 09:20:45 UTC 2010

Am 05.02.2010 um 02:22 schrieb Ben Gamari:

> Excerpts from Brett Mahar's message of Thu Feb 04 20:00:19 -0500 2010:
>>
>> Is it still necessary to even have releases every 6 months? How many
>> more new features/changes need to be made to the OS? It seems pretty
>> well developed as-is.
>>
> You are kidding, right? It amazes me that someone would say such a
> thing. I can tell you right now that the competition (Apple, and, yes,
> even Microsoft) do not have this attitude. While Ubuntu in its current
> form is a great distribution, it is by no means perfect and is
> certainly
> nowhere near a point where we can start considering stagnation.

Perhaps he's talking about not to introduce a different photo viewer
or instant messenger application every other release. Each switch in
software introduces bugs and blasts previous fixes away. Think about
those who actually dived into an issue and fixed it with several days
of work, just to see this being obsoleted a few weeks later.

And no, Ubuntu with it's applications is nowhere near the stability
of Mac OS X or Windows XP. It's sometimes more like a find-your-daily-
workaround adventure.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/