Feature suggestions: optionally placing home folder into separate partition during ubuntu install

Usama Akkad uahello at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 03:58:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've read the article on Theregister and I did not like how he made his
point, it's journalism. Any way for the separate partition thing there
is some points.

1. Where is you D drive?
2. What if the user wanted to change the OS?
3. Which get broken more often, file-system or Hard-drive?
4. What about block size?

For 1, People who works in PC maintenance know that most users prefer to
have two partitions at least. Users (by experience*) know that in case
of troubles "C" could be erased with "D" untouched. So they already put
valuable things on D. Home partition is similar to "D".

For 2, What if a user wanted to change her system to Distro X or Z or
even some proprietary OS? how much troubles she will have if she just
wanted to keep her data untouched?

Would the other systems detect her home folder and put it in a safe
place while they are being installed? or does she have to buy a 500G
external Hard disk* while she has a plenty of free space and healthy
hard disk?

For 3, I think it's better to have two separate file systems for the
obvious reason of which get corrupted more often.

For 4, Last time I checked I remember that a bigger partition means
bigger block size and more wasted space. small benefit maybe but an
advantage.

Sure there is workaround for almost every point here but Ubuntu usually
make things more simple and direct.

------
* though an external hard disk is a good choice for backup

Usama Akkad