Apache2 in default Ubuntu install

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 13 05:00:23 UTC 2010

Hello Harry,

Harry Strongburg [2010-08-13  4:55 +0000]:
> I found out why though, it's packaged with php5, which is also
> pretty stupid to do. If a user installs PHP, they should also
> install any httpd they want. Not Apache automatically.

php5 installs everything related to PHP, which includes the web server
module. If you only want the command line interpreter, but none of the
web stuff, just install php5-cli instead. But I dare to claim that
most people who want PHP actually want it as a web server platform.

Martin