unattended-upgrade(8)

Alexander Schrijver alexander.schrijver at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:02:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

unattended-upgrade(8) is called via /etc/cron.daily/apt and this is seems to be
the default Ubuntu configuration. This script automatically installs package
upgrades without notifying the user.

The problem is that if a user is running for example firefox (or any other
program with external resources) this script would overwrite the resources on
disk but the program would still be in memory. This brings the program in an
unknown state, and potentially crash it. I tried this with Firefox and it fucks
up the user interface. But if the program would load a dynamically loadable
library things would get really fucked up.

My question is, how is this supposed to work, because this seems really messed
up.

Regards,

Alexander