What about SLiM and tint2?

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 18:37:15 UTC 2009

2009/9/23 rent0n <rent0n at email.it>

> Loïc Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> Do you have some links pointing to a prepared Ubuntu package and some
> >> refusal by Ubuntu developers?
> >>
> No i have not.
> I really can't understand your question, i just would like to know if
> SLiM has not been included in karmic because for some time the  project
> was dropped down or there is some other reason.
> Now that they found a new mantainer, do you think the package will be
> re-included in Ubuntu 10.04?

I've had a look at packages.ubuntu.com. Presuming that SLiM is slim:

   - hardy <http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/slim> (x11):
   Desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11 [*universe*]
   1.2.6-1: amd64 i386
   - intrepid <http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/slim> (x11):
   desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11 [*universe*]
   1.3.0-1: amd64 i386
   - jaunty <http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/slim> (x11):
   desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11 [*universe*]
   1.3.0-2: amd64 i386

It doesn't appear in karmic.

The package names are things like slim 1.2.6-1. This means that it has been
modified in Debian (the -1 bit) but not in Ubuntu (no -xubuntuy suffix)

The reason it is not in karmic (and can't be now) is presumably because it
was not in Debian when we synced from Debian earlier in the release cycle.
Ubuntu has not modified it in any way - we've just taken it from Debian. If
it gets back in Debian it will get back in Ubuntu.

Looking at packages.debian.org I find slim in lenny and sid. It has some
terrible bugs though including one that says you can login as root without a
password! It sounds like it is good that it is not in karmic!

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=slim;dist=unstable

It _should_ appear in Ubuntu 10.04 unless we stop it being synced from
Debian. However I'd question why you wouid want to run software that has
such grave bugs.

Looking at http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/slim.html I think this means it
was removed from Debian in August and reappeared in September. It was
dropped from Debian in response to a request from the maintainer in July :
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=538921 but it seems to have
a new maintainer.

However I'd look at these bugs before considering running it myself:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=505332 FTBFS with GCC 4.4
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=536542 Allows root login
without a password!
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=529306 insecure xauth