Benchmarking Ubuntu

Randy Appleton rappleto at nmu.edu
Tue Sep 29 05:06:21 UTC 2009

Hi!

I'm a computer science professor considering offering an undergraduate
research project.

Does anyone know which of the major distributions is fastest?  Has anyone
timed various operations in Ubuntu vs RedHat vs Suse?  I'm curious if it's
quicker to log in, find a file, open a document, etc. in Ubuntu, RedHat or
Suse?

Does anyone already have data on these questions?  Or, if we do the
benchmarking myself, is anyone interested in the results?  Finally, is there
some particular operation you'd like to see benchmarked?

-Much Thanks
-Randy Appleton