Huge instability and insanely large memory footprint in 9.04

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 25 15:45:27 UTC 2009

Conrad Knauer wrote:

> I'm going to guess, without seeing his machine, that it's something
> with Firefox... it could be a malfunctioning extension, it could be
> some script on an otherwise normal page... I would try backing up my
> ~/.mozilla folder and seeing if running FF fresh solves the problem.

At the risk of offending most by stating the obvious, note that firefox
-- especially when extensions are loaded -- has a continuously
increasing memory footprint; even when you're not doing anything other
than leaving it open on a few tabs.  And sites using javascript
(especially those with lots of ever changing ads) are notorious for
memory leaks.  On my MS Windows machine, after a couple of weeks of
having firefox continuously open, the memory use goes up to about 1.2GB
(the hint is that the machine ceases to repeat characters in a timely
fashion).  Linux isn't quite as bad, but not by much -- below is the
output from top:

  8209 pgoetz    20   0 1877m 895m  45m S   10 27.3 576:27.11 firefox

  7668 pgoetz    20   0  160m  17m  12m S    1  0.5  42:56.50 pulseaudio

pulseaudio?  I'm not even using any audio applications and hardly ever do!

The linux kernel is a lean, mean, fighting machine.  X windows?  Not so
much.  KDE and gnome?  Don't ask.  Firefox and friends?  See above.  The
bottom line is if you're not running X, an Intel 486 with 256KB of RAM
is probably a perfectly adequate platform.