Ubuntu for laptops

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:46:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 11:40 -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> If you google for ext4 and battery life you can find quite a bit of
> discussion about how the default filesystem configuration prevents the
> disk from being able to go to sleep.  The bottom line is optimizing for
> performance is more or less inversely proportional to optimizing for low
> energy consumption.  So yes, it would be useful to have a
> laptop-optimized version.

I wouldn't like to see a different version, that makes two problems:

 1) More complexity with managing a version.
 2) No control when the laptop is plugged into the wall.

What would be more ideal is to sort out the file system driver so it
behaved differently when it's on battery power (or in any kind of energy
conservation mode).

Regards, Martin Owens