grub error 18

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Sep 20 23:53:28 UTC 2009

Dane Mutters wrote:
> It sounds like your menu.lst file in /boot/grub is being overwritten by
> the maintainer's version of the config file from the updated package.
> Usually, if you've edited that file even a little, it'll ask whether you
> want to change it or keep it the same and update it manually.  Something
> to consider.

Never touched the file. It is blooming embarrassing putting Jaunty on a
box for other people to use and then have to deal with this blasted
mysterious 'grub error 18' problem. After each and every reboot, I have
to pop in the LiveCD, load konsole, sudo -i root, get into grub and run
setup to get the box to boot into the installed Jaunty.

What blasted script keeps on murking about with grub?!?!!?!?!?