Apport Hooks Task Force

Sense Hofstede sense at qense.nl
Sun Sep 20 14:00:56 UTC 2009

Hello,
Recently Brian Murray asked for more Apport hooks to be added to as many
packages as possible,[0] because of the choice for Apport as the preferred
way to report bugs. (For more information, have a look at the QATeam spec
[1])

The move away from the web interface ought to make our lives easier because
now more relevant information is (going to be) attached to bug reports,
reducing the length of the correspondence, making bug triaging and fixing
more efficient. However, if we want to have the full benefit of the
possibilities Apport gives us, we need to do some work.

High-profile packages probably will get Apport hooks in time for the Karmic
release, but there are many more packages that could benefit from both hooks
and symptoms. I therefore suggest to set up an operation that makes sure we
do give as many packages as possible a nice hook.
What should this operation do? The idea is to create an 'apport-hook' tag,
report bugs against all packages (that don't have a hook yet) and start
watching the bugs. Then we can write hooks and watch the tag for bugs that
have a proper one attached. The Bugsquad could do the buggy part of the
task, the MOTU and Ubuntu Developers can afterwards add the hooks to the
packages (and help writing them).

If we'd get the greatest part of our archive to have Apport hooks, it'll be
much easier for us to cope with the many bug reports that inevitably are
going to come when Karmic is released and we'd be able to learn how to deal
with those kind of bug reports before the LTS will be there.

Maybe it would be a good idea to devote a HugDay to this? It would at least
be useful to create a wiki page an send an announcement to explain the
procedure of adding hooks to packages.

[0]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-bugsquad/2009-September/001546.html
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Specs/IncreaseApportAdoption