Ubuntu Domain Server

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Oct 31 15:07:55 UTC 2009

Remco wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 19:28, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> As for whether they'll understand - that's what the tool is for, to make it
>> _possible_ for them to understand.  The people you would aim such a tool at
>> certainly don't have a clue about virtual hosts, but they do know that
>> they're running multiple domains and can't figure out how to make them both
>> listen on port 80.
>>

> This is something I ran into. I didn't care to figure out how to
> configure virtual hosts, so I just created a small PHP script that
> redirects a visitor to the correct subdirectory depending on the host
> name. Ugly, but it works. If I'd have to set it up now, I'd use
> rapache.

You, however, knew that you wanted to do but not necessarily how to
enable it in apache. Writing a php script probably means you know how to
keep it secure too.

That is way different from the uninitiated being given a powertool and
left to their devices although not every GUI will prove to be a 'powertool'.