Ubuntu Domain Server

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Oct 31 14:23:27 UTC 2009

Ethan Baldridge wrote:
> I just edit resolv.conf anyway and fix it the next time it “breaks” (every time I log into my company VPN, even though I have the PPPoE client set to not apply DNS settings from the DHCP server).  For a personal computer, I can just keep editing; I have to fix the default route every time anyway. But it would be nice to know how to “fix” it – and the routing table – permanently.

Hence the need for a consensus on predetermined fixed configurations for
a/b/c/d UDS distro if you really want it.

What you have all described is a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.
Which is why I tell those who ask why I keep saying we cannot do x, y, z
instead of just plain a to feel free to try.

The simpler the design is, the more likely you can do a good job. For
those who feel I was being elitist or plain just want to keep my iron
rice bowl, they are free to prove that it is viable to do x, y, z
instead of just a. You mess up, I get more work :-P. You pull it off, I
might get to see the end of the Microsoft monopoly. :-D

Either way, I think I will still have an iron rice bowl. :-P