Herculean setup time waster

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 29 17:47:26 UTC 2009

I installed to sda12 from the kubuntu alternate karmicRC CD, installed mc,
then did apt-get update;apt-get upgrade. The upgrade installed roughly 160
packages. Most of the time spent doing that upgrade, an absurd length, was
displaying messages about finding other distributions on other partitions.

Why is it that when:

1-Neither Grub nor Lilo is installed to MBR (MBR contains generic boot code)
2-Active partition on first disk is type 0x0A (IBM Boot Manager)
3-*buntu / is installed to a logical partition

the installation configurator and apt-get upgrade find it necessary to
configure Grub to boot anything other than the *buntu version it is
installing or upgrading?
My /boot/grub/grub.cfg file is an insane 19,985 bytes!

http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/grub-karmic-gx150.cfg BTW is my post-upgrade
version. Neither apparently get used. Booting from IBM BM to the Kubuntu
sda12 / partition just gives a Grub prompt. To actually boot Kubuntu I have
to set root, kernel and initrd from the Grub prompt each time.
--
"   A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God. . . .

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/