Ubuntu Domain Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Oct 28 01:40:31 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>

>>> Professionals need to be "on-call".  In fact, for most medical treatment,
>>> the doctor _is_ "on-call".  If we could make the day-to-day
>>> administration of servers simple and fool-proof, the small business owner
>>> might be far more happy to consider keeping an expert on-call.
>>>

>> Sure, which is only possible with predefined fixed configurations that
>> meet the needs of a mom and pop shop and that would be all the tools
>> does; setup things according to the specification.
>>

> All the RFCs are defined as finite-state engines.  There really is NO reason
> that a tool capable of making all the correct configurations need to be
> "predefined" and "fixed".  It's 30 years since I did FSEs in university, but
> I'm pretty sure we learned that they could _all_ be automated, even then.

Oh feel free to code the thing then. Just don't ask mom and pop whether
they want their user account database in ldap or mysql or in passwd and
shared via NIS+.

>>> Why would we ever say that?  It's way beyond the scope of the proposal.
>>>

>> You are saying that a system that creates disk images for installation
>> and a software auditing tool does not require an experienced
>> professional. Give me a break.
>>

> My recollection is that the "disk images" came after the initial proposal,

Maybe you need to reread the first post then.

> but even so: "yeah".  What makes a _second_ disk image any more significant
> than the first?  If the first is correct, then the second, with specific
> mods to make it reflect a unique machine, is not that difficult.

Are still talking about mom and pop here? I imagined that they would get
computers that come with UDS preinstalled? They are supposed to know
what mods to make? Do I hear experienced professional required?