Ubuntu Domain Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Oct 28 01:12:40 UTC 2009

Steven Susbauer wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 6:53 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Hands up those who know end users that understand tcp/ip enough to
>> decide on a static ip for the UDS server that will host the user account
>> database, the update repository and the monitoring software.
>

> So now you're what, bashing landscape too? Canonical supposedly makes
> some money off it, probably from at least a few competent
> administrators who find it makes their job easier. An alternative
> might at least solve a few of the wants of the original post without
> going too far overboard.

No I am not bashing landscape, I was bashing some of the ideas such as
any Dick, Tom and Harry could administer a server. I think the proposal
needs to be separated into two different things since you all want to
gun for it. One fully automatic distro that only offers a tool to share
a directory with share level access and printers for mom and pop shops.

As for landspace, when you work out what 'domain server' stands for then
we can say whether it fits the bill for the OP's idea. His idea of
'domain' is not just a central user account database for all machines.
He differentiates between 'domain accounts' and 'local accounts' and
what is available in UNIX/Linux land is at most shared 'local accounts'.