Ubuntu Domain Server

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:43:36 UTC 2009

> The software that brain surgeons use is highly graphical.
> <http://www.5min.com/Video/114223642>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpGGL2pb2nc>
> If it was text-only, it would be much less effective, and brain surgeons
> would therefore be less trustworthy, not more. It is not the difficulty
> of the software they use that leads you to trust brain surgeons,
> mechanics, or lawyers; it is their training, experience, and support staff.

That is software that brain surgeons use. It is not software that does
a brain surgeon's job. The hospital cannot replace a brain surgeon
with that software.

> You are trying to make server administrators trustworthy by making
> server software artificially difficult to use. This strategy would work
> only if the server software market was uncompetitive, because it is a
> strategy that severely retards the usefulness of the software. A
> graphical interface could do a much better job of presenting and
> manipulating things like directory information trees, network topology,
> and resource use over time, than a text-only presentation ever will.

I may have been unclear here. I am not against GUI tools. I am against
tools that empower untrained minions to seemingly perform work that
demands a professional. Tools that help the professional perform his
job, or even tools that make the profession itself more accessible,
are welcome.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com