Ubuntu Domain Server

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 26 12:30:11 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> That tool is generally called a server. That Mac OS X tool is called
>> Samba, with a nice interface to configure it. I see no reason why they
>> should be forced to run Mac OS X to do this.
>>

> I think that Chan was giving an example.
>

>> People should have the choice to do what they want, even if you disagree
>> with it. Advocating for licenses to run a server is preposterous, and
>> goes completely against the Ubuntu philosophy in general [1], which is
>> not limited to just Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> So I suppose that lawyers should not be licensed? Doctors? Real estate
> agents? Everyone should have a choice to do whatever they want,
> complete anarchy?

You keep missing the main point. which is not whether or not people without
knowledge _should_ be running servers, but that they _are_, will continue to
be whether or not we support them, and can't be prevented from doing so.
All of your arguments against providing the tools to support them are
arguments in favour of allowing them to continue to use bad tools, to create
badly configured servers, from Microsoft.
--
derek