Ubuntu Domain Server

Steven Susbauer stupendoussteve at me.com
Thu Oct 22 04:55:37 UTC 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 10:56 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Ryan Dwyer wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't matter how much work is involved. Do you think the
>> Linux/Ubuntu community would be willing to change the way system
>> logons work if it meant bug #1 could be completed?
>
> Let us see. To change the way system logons work would mean changing
> pam, the C library and just about anything that has to do with system
> accounts. You are welcome to try to convince the Ubuntu community to
> maintain a fork of all these essential system libraries and offer some
> form of backwards compatibility to avoid having to also modify who
> knows
> how many other packages like sendmail, apache, bind, ..., ..., ...,
> everything. Mac OS X, a certified UNIX system as of Snow Leopard, is
> enjoying a measure of success without having to become Windows like.
> You
> are barking up the wrong tree here.

Note that OS X (that UNIX certified system) has completely changed how
system logons work. User accounts (and a ton of other things) are
managed through the Open Directory service even on the local machine.
The plus of this is it is also highly compatible with external
directory services. It takes three or four clicks of a mouse to
configure the system to use a domain server and authenticate domain
users against a centralized system. Their system is both compatible
with traditional UID/GID, and also allows for separation of local
machine and domain accounts.

I am not extremely familiar with the intricacies of the OS X Open
Directory system and know that they have put in the work to make it
work well and be compatible. It is not impossible and certainly worth
considering before writing it off. Of course it may be that it is too
much work to implement something similar.