Proposal: reduce base font size from 10pt to 9pt for Karmic Koala release

LoonyPhoenix loonyphoenix at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 13:07:54 UTC 2009

Just my $0.02: I'm using a 125 DPI monitor and I don't find fonts at 9
pt too small. In fact, Windows's "ridiculously small fonts" seem just
a bit small to me, but definitely legible enough. But that's a matter
of taste; I just like my user interfaces compact, I'm a freak that
way.

However, DejaVu, in my opinion, looks worse than XP's Tahoma and
Vista's Segoe UI at "ridiculously small" sizes, and it looks very good
at 10 pt, unlike Tahoma. I see how this might be a barrier for
lowering the font size.

Anyway, I don't see the issue, because, as pointed out, a user with
too large a font can always make it smaller (as I always do). And the
default font size looks okay even to me, a person who likes compact
interfaces.

There is another problem for small screens that I think is more
serious because it's not as easy to solve, and that's a lack of
pre-installed compact gtk+ theme like Shiki-Human Semicompact [1].
Normal gtk+ themes seem to waste lots of screen real estate, which for
netbooks and smaller laptops and older low-DPI low-resolution monitors
is crucial. However, that is not the topic of this discussion.

Regards,
LoonyPhoenix

Notes:
[1] http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Human+Semicompact?content=96171