Karmic Kernel Source throwing error when building v4l-dvb

Andrew Barbaccia andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:01:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Andrew Barbaccia <
andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Barbaccia wrote:
>> > I'm trying to build the v4l-dvb tree.
>>
>> You mean the v4l-dvb tree from linuxtv.org, right?
>>

> Yes that's the one.
>

>> > I believe my build environment
>> > is setup correctly as I have installed build-essential, linux-headers
>> > and linux-source. I have extracted the source, linked to
>> > /usr/src/linux and did the whole make oldconfig thing.
>>
>> > Is there something missing from the linux-headers package? Did I
>> > configure something incorrectly?
>>
>> Maybe it is a problem with the v4l-dvb tree. Some time ago it didn't
>> work for me with everything enabled but I had success with only those
>> modules enabled which I needed for my hardware. You can run "make
>> menuconfig" in the v4l-dvb directory and disable everything except what
>> you really need.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> I believe the problem exists somewhere with the module I was trying to
> compile also. When I download the saa7134-stable branch (which was merged
> into the linuxtv.org tree) I get the same errors.
>
> I found a thread here on linux-media mailing list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg06865.html
>
> But there is no resolution and I cannot seem to have make realize I have
> the full source installed.

For anyone else having this problem I was able to get some resolution from
the guys in #v4l on IRC.

Basically the Firedtv driver needs the entire kernel source to compile - not
just the headers. They said they are aware of the problem and will address
it at some point.

So a quick work around is to disable the firedtv driver by modifying the
./v4l/.config file and changing '=m' to '=n' on the firedtv line.

The longer solution is to install the kernel source and then modify the
makefile configuration options to use that instead of the headers (it will
default to using the headers still if not configured correctly). If you're
not using firedtv, this is not worth it.

Thanks all who helped!