Ubuntu Domain Server

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun Nov 22 19:18:14 UTC 2009

Am 21.11.2009 um 22:38 schrieb Remco:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 19:58, Michael Bienia <michael at bienia.de>
> wrote:
>> On 2009-11-21 17:37:46 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
>>> <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screens/gparted_1_big.jpg>
>>> Oh, perhaps you prefer command line disk partitioning over
>>> gparted as
>>> well. It's doable and much more flexible :-)
>>
>> gparted is probably a good GUI (hadn't have to repartition my disk
>> for a
>> long time, so never used it till now). But does it help someone to
>> partition his disk properly who doesn't know about primary/logical
>> partitions, filesystem types, mount points, etc.?
>
> It doesn't.

Well, it does. It gives a visual representation of how the result
will be, it translates partition codes to human readable descriptions
("ext2", "FAT32", ...), it takes some care to avoid conflicts and it
invokes the correct tools to format the newly created partitions.

On the command line, you have a lot more chances to do things wrong.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/