Save Icon modernization needed

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Sun Nov 15 15:37:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 12:00 +0000, Joseph Miller said:

> OK, I took a stab at it.  Comments please.
>
> http://www.calcmaster.net/temp/document-save-modern2.svg
> http://www.calcmaster.net/temp/document-save-modern.svg
>
> -Joseph

I saved it to my desktop using Wget, and when I looked at the two icons
on the desktop I thought "I wonder why the svg files have that
'downloading' symbol as the icon?" and then it struck me that Gnome was
displaying a thumbnail of your icon.

That icon would be great if it was to convey information that the file
was downloading, but I'm not sure it works so well to convey the 'save'
concept.

My favourite method of saving a document was in RiscOS; when you opened
the 'save' dialog, it was just a small window with the document icon, a
filepath and an OK button. When you were doing your initial save (or a
"Save As...") you just dragged the icon to where you wanted to save it
to. In subsequent saves, you just hit the OK button.

Maybe something like that should be employed here - you drag the
document icon (perhaps from the window decoration) to the location you
want it saved to.

Note that the current icon for saving in Humanity is actually quite
good. There is an arrow pointing down toward the same icon that is used
for "Filesystem" in Nautilus, hence saying "Put this into the file
system".