cancel the 9.10 release... it is not ready

Shentino shentino at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 08:33:54 UTC 2009

I just received the free CD package I ordered awhile ago.  And...

I don't know what happened, it looks very bland inside.  None of the
familiar red/orange/yellowness ubuntueyness.  It's just black text on white
background, no border, looks almost like what you'd expect at the back end
of a user manual where they put the warranty.

The front picture is a yellow background with just 9.10 in 2 places and
Ubuntu Desktop written on it.  For some reason I didn't get much of an
"ubuntuey" feel from it.  The package also felt a little flimsy and there
was even some shipping-induced deformation in the paper.  This could be due
to cost-cutting measures though, as I recently read in slashdot that
Canonical is having budget problems with its "ship-it" program.

That is my honest criticism.

Naturally of course I commend all the volunteers that surely put forth a
fine effort.  Without them I'd be forced to eat Windows...and being on a
shoestring budget as it is I was barely able to afford the $275 I spent
getting and putting together a new computer.  Yes, I just built it from
parts I got from newegg :).  So on an absolute scale I'm not terribly
displeased with ubuntu overall.

Anyway, I hope that my feedback, and probably a post-mortem of what went
wrong with Karmic's release, will be beneficial to future versions.