Desktop Effects Reverting to crude X-Server style Grahpics

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Sat Nov 7 14:50:30 UTC 2009

Sebastian Geiger wrote:
> For me, plugging in the VGA cable and pressing Fn+F4 screws up the 2nd
> screen, and then the appearance. The appearance became in a way like
> crude XServer style grey graphics. Everything is a bit bigger and no
> I am wondering about which package I would have to file a bug?

These symptons occur when "gnome-settings-daemon" crashes.
In fact you can emulate this by just killing the
"gnome-settings-daemon" process.

Normally the apport crash reporter is turned off
in stable releases but you can enable it using this command:

  sudo force_start=1 /etc/init.d/apport start

It will run until the next time you reboot and it
will catch any crashes and prompt you to submit a
bug to Launchpad.

Once you have apport running, then do that thing with
the VGA cable and/or Fn+F4 etc (whatever steps is necessary
to trigger the bug) and hopefully the bug gets detected by
apport.

		Martin