T41 overwhelmed by compiz "Normal" and metacity

GĂ©rard BIGOT gerard.bigot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:06:04 UTC 2009

2009/11/3 Evan <eapache at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM, LD 'Gus' Landis <ldlandis at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear Evan,
>>
>>  I will file a bug report... Thanks for the pointer.
>>
>>  You are correct.. I am running "/usr/bin/metacity --replace"
>>  and getting splendid response on my machine (with "Visual
>>  Effects" = "None".
>>
>>  To get the bad performance experienced, gconf-editor->
>>  apps->metacity select compositing_manager ON.  Running
>>  with that OFF, things are great.
>>

> I'd completely forgotten about that.
> Metacity is in the process of adding a 3D option (like compiz) so that you
> can do 2D or 3D without switching to compiz.
> Metacity-3D, like compiz, requires a decent graphics card, and presumably
> that gconf switch lets you turn it on at the moment (compositing ~= 3D).

Actually, the switch in metacity you're talking about is really activating
compositing features right now. It always was there as long as I found it,
at the time compiz came into ubuntu.

There's a new project mutter (the next metacity), planned for gnome 3. It is
a rewrite (internal code path simplification) with composite always
activated. I use it right now. It's pretty impressive. Even if it's not as
show off as compiz.

Keeping with understatement, I don't think compiz is the right answer to the
right answer : 'how do we enable compositing in gnome in a sensible way?'

Mutter seems to be better in this way. Even ifthere's still lot of job to be
done.

G.