configuration utility for compiz

LD 'Gus' Landis ldlandis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:22:22 UTC 2009

Related but... Hard hang on ThinkPad T41 on Karmic Koala

  The current default "Change Desktop Background"->"Visual Effects"
  in Karmic is "Normal".

  On my ThinkPad T41, the Karmic version overwhelms the machine
  and causes a hard hang.  I was able to resolve this on three separate
  machines, and accidentally discovered it when I had one machine
  that worked (two failed).

  I was able to get past this by immediately (after login) change the
  "Visual Effects" to "None".

  So far, enabling compiz on T41 with Karmic causes hard hang.
  Enabling metacity causes unusably slow response (of Firefox for
  sure).

  It seems that disabling all of compiz and metacity is necessary
  for "older" machines.

Cheers,
  --ldl