Current situation of amarok, and of latex tools

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon May 25 11:32:44 UTC 2009

Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 11:12 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>>> That is not the case with OpenSolaris based ZFS root capable
>>> installations. While the whole disk maybe taken up by a zfs pool, the
>>> installation will create three at least zfs filesystems. ROOT/,
>>> ROOT/opt, export, and export/home all exist on my OpenSolaris
>>> installation. So all data is stored in the user's home directory is not
>>> at all affected by upgrades or downgrades.
>>>

>> ...I need more sleep and to get out of Hong Kong...my command of English
>> has gone down the drain.
>>
>> Allow me to retype that:
>>
>> That is not the case with OpenSolaris based ZFS root capable
>> installations. While the whole disk maybe taken up by a zfs pool, the
>> installation will create at least three zfs filesystems. ROOT/,
>> ROOT/opt, export, and export/home all exist on my OpenSolaris
>> installation. So all data is stored in the user's home directory and is not
>> at all affected by upgrades or downgrades.
>>

> So, what happens when, say, I upgrade to a new version of Evolution and
> it decides to convert all its existing mailboxes to the new database
> format on first run, and I later want to revert because of new bugs?  It
> doesn't matter that I can roll back everything but /home to the previous
> Evolution version - that mail is now essentially gone as far as the old
> Evolution is concerned.

Heh. Like they say: BACKUP BEFORE YOU UPGRADE. So I could have simply
made a snapshot of export/home and then upgraded if I was worried about
the new packages messing up my data.

So /export/home is covered too although that is not part of the process
of upgrading. If one did not read the release notes and what
not...well...tough eh?

> Alternatively, replace Evolution with MySQL or such.
>
> This is what I understand to be the hard problem in *supporting* package
> downgrades.

Ah, but this is no longer 'roll back' relevant. No fancy zapped file
system will help there.