Current situation of amarok, and of latex tools

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon May 25 05:58:20 UTC 2009

Il giorno lun, 25/05/2009 alle 02.09 +0200, Markus Hitter ha scritto:

> Craft a system where people can switch back and forth between
> different package versions. "This update broke foo?" -> Report a bug
> and switch foo back to the previous version -> Damage gone, user
> happy.

Using alpha (which I do very often, and this reminds me I have to
download karmic) may lead to data loss. I recall a bug in the gnome
control center (which was in ubuntu for a short while), where you'd
loose your entire home directory in a single shot for a bug. I often
synchronise data with a portable disk but I do not version it, so if I
loose a directory and then synchronise without checking, I'm ******.
Yes, I should start using a different method.

Crafting a safe testing environment ideally would mean to use a
filesystem with snapshots. I do not know how difficult would be to
implement snapshots in ubuntu but it seems that if it was easy we would
already have those.

Vincenzo