What's wrong with Ubuntu's policy?

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Fri May 22 08:12:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 22.05.2009 um 08:23 schrieb Martin Pitt:
>
> > As I said, you cannot have a regression _by definition_ if you ship a
> > new machine with that backported stuff preinstalled.
>
> Of course.
>
> > Of course I don't know whether they inflict those updates to earlier
> > customers as well.
>
> They sell the machine now and promise to deliver the updates over the
> next year.

I know some people having such computers and I can assure you that updates
break from time to time (especially their closed drivers part).

That's a bad thing a I am afraid I have to tell them to wait for me for
updating on those machine... :/

So, if they add an "added value" of backporting softwares themselves from
new version of ubuntu, I'm quite scared with this policy for their users.
Didier