Update-apt-xapian-index running when automatic upgrades checking is disabled.

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sun May 17 07:28:50 UTC 2009

Nevertheless, my 2k euros laptop can eventually play quake but can't
reliably play music. At some point it starts lagging and goes crazy. The
point is update-apt-xapian-index is running.

Now the point is, that I have already disabled automatic upgrade
checking (because the popup was annoying me at the wrong moment and I
got upset with it, and I didn't remember what was the gconf key). So no
apt-like process should run in the background and annoy me even more.
What is the rationale beyond this choice?

\ironic{I realise us nerds are not supposed to have girlfriends, but in
a romantic moment, hearing the music go nuts, it'd be priceless to say
"sorry my lady" and then explain her the beautiness of ubuntu.}

Thanks

Vincenzo