Current situation of amarok, and of latex tools

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Fri May 15 15:56:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Andrew <a.starr.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> If its developers really think that users should stick with 1.4 they
> aren't doing a good job promoting that.
>
> [1] http://amarok.kde.org/
> [2] http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Kubuntu
> [3] http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Source
>
> - Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

Well this part of the announcement of Amarok 2.0 at least made it
clear there were a number of regressions:
  "It is important to note that Amarok 2.0 is a beginning, not an end.
Because of the major changes required, not all features from the 1.4
are in Amarok 2. Many of these missing features, like queueing and
filtering in the playlist, will return within a few releases. Other
features, such as visualizations and support for portable media
players, require improvements in the underlying KDE infrastructure.
They will return as KDE4's support improves." --
http://amarok.kde.org/en/releases/2.0

This was noted on
   http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/16533/
   "do not remove Amarok 1.x.x from jaunty or from other future releases."

However not many people voted and it did not attract the attention of
the developers.

Would the developers feel that having upstream mark releases that are
stable but have many outstanding regressions as "Early Adopter
Releases" would make their lives easier? Would it have made a
difference in this case? And would having a version clearly marked as
an "EAR" release help you decide whether you'd download, compile and
install it for personal use?

As a (technical) user if I noticed that a distribution had switched to
an EAR release of something I cared about this might help me
understand whether I wanted to upgrade. It may also help upstream
avoid "should KDE 4.0 have been released" style flamewars.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted