Notifications as instant messages?

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon Mar 30 13:32:26 UTC 2009

Il giorno lun, 30/03/2009 alle 06.38 -0600, Charlie Kravetz ha scritto:

> While I think this might have great merit, I have to question what
> happens to those who do not run any type of IM? I have, I think,
> started pidgin one time on my system, to test it. However, I do run
> any
> instant messengers. Please do not draw up a plan requiring another
> application be learned and run full time. My old computers have enough
> running already.

My idea is that a lightweight client for the sole purpose of displaying
notification should be created. That would ideally act as the log of all
notifications received (not only updates). You would see by default the
notification balloon (or whatever it is called), and then, depending on
the default choice, a pop-under or minimised window, or a coloured icon
in the panel. Differently from pidgin you wouldn't have a contact list,
OTR and other plugins etc.

Differently from the current system, all the notifications would be in
one place, and with clickable links in them.

V.