Reason for removing animation from Gnome login?

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Mon Mar 30 11:28:25 UTC 2009

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 22:25 +0100, Ernst Persson wrote:
>

>> I saw Scott removing animation from gnome login. What's the reason for
>> that? I don't see any motivation or reference to a bugreport.
>>

> There's a reference to an upstream bug report in the patch itself.  It
> was removed because it takes up more time of the boot/login sequence
> than it should (around 3s).

As a user, I did not notice the boot speed improvement. What I noticed
was a really clumsy experience of panel background popping up before
everything else.

> In practice, there are better ways to signify the desktop is ready than
> have each individual component individually animating in their own way.
>
> One good idea would be that the screen holds at the login screen after
> entering your password (e.g. with "Logging in...") and the desktop fades
> in when everything's ready.

This is something we need to explore and apply as soon as possible.
I must say I feel that disabling the animation does not improve things
to an extent that would justify a really bad visual experience that we
now have.

Mat