lxde and nm-applet situation is worse: Jaunty python upgrade prevents pygtk apps from working

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Mar 28 22:27:36 UTC 2009

Paulo Silva wrote:

> Well, i'm not yet using Jaunty (still on Interpid) - and i got an
> annoying situation having both LXDE and Gnome installed - a dependence
> named lxnm, not only it's not working, as well it removes by conflict
> nm-applet (network-manager-gnome package), and if we insist
> reinstalling LXDE, we take the risk on being completelly offline (if
> we only have wireless access), like happened to me.
>
> I think it were a MOTU 'disaster' on marking lxnm package as
> conflicting with network-manager-gnome
>
> I commented it at the LXDE mailing list, and they didn't like it at all as
> well
>
> I hope this situation can be fixed soon - and helping people who want
> to use LXDE working with nm-applet (network-manager-gnome package), or
> having the freedom of choice - even from a larger wireless managers
> diversity (which may help us to know which ones are the very better)

I'm not really sure what your issue is here, but there are a few things that
come to mind.

1) there should be a meta-package for network connections, which things like
network-manager should provide

2) LXDE is the real problem here - if it wants to run on Ubuntu, it really
needs to work with network-manager, because that's our default network
manager (???).   If it can, then it can provide a dependency on "lxnm |
network-manager" (surely not network-manager-gnome).  I'd be really,
really, surprised if this can't be fixed merely by providing those
alternate dependencies on the package and no other change.

3) I'm not sure network-manager really needs to be so exclusive, but there
must be _some_ network control applications that can't be installed,
because surely only one application can be managing any given connection.
--
derek