Reason for removing animation from Gnome login?

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Mon Mar 23 11:57:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 22:25 +0100, Ernst Persson wrote:

> I saw Scott removing animation from gnome login. What's the reason for
> that? I don't see any motivation or reference to a bugreport.

There's a reference to an upstream bug report in the patch itself.  It
was removed because it takes up more time of the boot/login sequence
than it should (around 3s).

In practice, there are better ways to signify the desktop is ready than
have each individual component individually animating in their own way.

One good idea would be that the screen holds at the login screen after
entering your password (e.g. with "Logging in...") and the desktop fades
in when everything's ready.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant