k3b for kde4 in kubuntu jaunty?
vishalrao at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 09:28:49 UTC 2009
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Luka Renko <lure at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 16:18:25 Vishal Rao wrote:
>> Any chance of k3b-for-kde4 getting into jaunty before the release as
>> part of kubuntu's move to eliminate kde3 deps?
>> Or is it no point waiting for it since it might not be done by April?
>> Or is it too late already with feature freeze past?
>> See http://blog.mandriva.com/2009/03/19/mandriva-helps-porting-k3b-in-qt4/
> Kubuntu developers (Tonio in particular) are looking closely on KDE4 version
> of k3b. We would be more than happy to get rid of KDE3 completely for Jaunty.
> Tonio has prepared test packages for KDE4 k3b and they are available in his
> He updates this packages regularly from KDE SVN, but we have received mixed
> results when testing (works for some people, but not all functionality - for
> example burning ISO images to DVD-RW was reported to not work for some
> We would appreciate any tester from the community that can spend some time on
> this. We are interested in testing various functionality of k3b. Please test
> and report both success as well as problems to kubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
> or in #kubuntu-devel on IRC.
Thanks, I've just now installed and quickly tested. Let me know if there is some
specific way to collect info/logs and where to send them?
Sat Mar 21:
Some testing notes:
My drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D SB00 (Samsung DVD DL writer)
using k3b 1.60.0 from Tonio's PPA on Jaunty AMD64 current pre-beta.
1. On startup, k3b warns no support to create audio CD from
mp3 due to possible missing libmad, but I have libmad0 installed
version 0.15.1b-4 but I dont see a mp3 plugin in k3b.
2. When erasing a CDRW no progress information is available and
this fact is also displayed in the erase dialog - erase worked.
3. CD (CDRW) data project (files) burn seems to hang at 0%, even
the buffer shows empty, what logs/info can I provide here?
4. CDRW burn image (46 mb gparted iso) seemed to work, CPU usage
was showing 25% on my quad core meaning was it consuming full CPU core?
Or just the single thread working normally? Resulting CD booted fine
in KVM (virt-manager).
5. DVDRW (single layer) erase shows progress bar fine.
6. DVDRW burn data files - default settings - disc shows empty after
burn apparently succeeds - filesystem chosen is linux+windows and
multisession setting is auto. Disc shows empty in Dolphin and k3b too.
7. After step 6, did a quick format, now instead of showing blank disc
both dolphin and k3b show the volume label I provided but no files in the disc.
(attaching debug output from burn dialog as k3b-dvdrw-burn-files.log)
8. DVDRW burn image (gparted iso) - selecting image shows md5 calculation failed
in the dialog. Burn hangs at 100% - killed k3b. disc shows label only but is
9. Now default quick format doesnt work - says disc is not empty, need to
select force format.
10. DVDRW burn image (Win7beta DVD ISO) - software buffer is 100% but
device buffer is between 5% and 35% - progress bars seem to be updated
every 3 seconds. this time system monitor shows k3b as zombie. Again
hangs (no disc activity or UI updates) at 100% after showing "writing
lead out may take some time".
11. Just closing and restarting k3b it shows as zombie in system monitor.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 4898 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Ubuntu-devel-discuss