Remove app via apt-get from menu

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:46:11 UTC 2009

Hi Markus,

I once was in a Lighting Talk which was describing some interface
research related to context. It was fascinating because it showed the
difference between nouns (applications) and verbs (run, delete,
uninstall)

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 00:35 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Right-click menus inside a left-click menu? I can't imagine any user
> interface guideline agrees here.

So, with this we have to consider that the left mouse click is actually
just a useful way to pull up a list widget with a bunch of ordered
nouns. A context menu is still valid here, because we have no verbs
apart from the default (assumed) one 'Run'.

There are a number of Brainstorm items that ask for this feature, it's a
well requested idea that already has an implementation in mint and
enough rationale to back up it's addition.

2009/3/19 Andrew Barbaccia <andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com>

> I agree. Two places to accomplish the same thing seems confusing.

That rationale makes no sense when your dealing with context, it's not
two places. It's a rationale context link from one idea to another.

Think about if we applied the same logic to nautilus, we'd have to
remove the Places menu, it's already in the nautilus Places list, get
rid of the home folder because you can access it from /home, remove
previews, because it's so easy to load them in a viewer and finally
remove the ability to double click on anything, because why should you
need to load a file from a nautilus context when you can just load the
target application first and use that Open/Load functionality.

This may at first look like duplication, but it's not, it's contexted
functionality and it improved the ease of use of the system.

Regards, Martin Owens