Remove app via apt-get from menu

Mike Jones eternalorb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:04:57 UTC 2009

My explanation would honestly be because the add-remove dialog is a pain to
use if I'm kind of in the middle of something else and I realize that I
really would prefer not to have application "x" sitting on my system.

The space required to store it isn't really what bothers me. My smallest
drive is 100 gb. The thing that bothers me is the time investment. If there
was a way to generally edit the menu by right click -> remove item, or right
click -> add new item, or anything else even.

The current menu editing application is a nightmare to me, and I only use it
when I really cannot stand to have the item in there.
But in general, if i had the ability to rightclick -> uninstall things, i
would use it often. otherwise what I end up doing is switching to terminal.
Generally I only use add-remove when I don't remember what the name of the
package is, and synaptic when the operations that I want to do are much too
complicated to easily use commandline with my limited ability.

I think that having multiple front ends is perfectly valid, but not
currently.
We need the ability for apt to have multiple front ends doing operations at
once, or queuing, or something. If we can't queue installer commands, than I
reluctantly agree that the more front ends, the worse, as it will more than
likely cause more than a few headaches from the "another instance of
synaptic is currently running" dialog.

-Mike