aufs based upgrade tests

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Thu Mar 19 15:20:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 15:56 +0100, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> How can this be rare if the user is supposed to test things after the
> upgrade? I didn't think about it but it's actually risky - every
> application can potentially be non-forward-compatible. Users should be
> adviced to use the guest user account to test new applications, or
> perhaps it can be done in a way that only a special account sees the new
> system?

Seconded, you start your session once with the new version installed,
and there's often no way back. Applications will surely update their
configuration data as soon as they're started, and there's no guarantee
that they'll work when the older system is reinstated.

As a possible solution, what about putting user accounts under aufs as
well? This would have the advantage of allowing for testing how
applications update their configuration data, which is also a good idea
because this is a common source of bugs.

Cheers,

M. S.