Replacing network-offline (old version 2xmonitor) with NM wlan 0% signal strength icon

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Mon Mar 16 10:58:55 UTC 2009

(``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> Olá Matthew e a todos.
>
> On Thursday 12 March 2009 09:54:05 Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>> The Design team has just discussed this and we agree it's confusing. The
>> two-monitors icon sucked, but our first try at a replacement wasn't so
>> hot. :-) We will have another go, considering the cross and slash
>> possibilities proposed here, and we'll seek a UI freeze exception for
>> 9.04 for a replacement icon.
>>

> On tonight's Linux Class, I went and asked my students (most of them are using GNU/Linux for the 1st time, and systems have Ubuntu 8.10) what they thought about the update-notifier (and it was showing Critical updates) and the NM icon.
> Sure UM was confusing at 1st, but after explaining some used it latter to get a PPA update.
> The NM icon didnt made any of them (at least the ones who replied) confused, and only a girl had trouble finding the VPN setting.
> One user had trouble understanding why the icon changed from wired to areal icon once he connected to wifi, but 3 secs later just forgot about it, cause it worked.
>
> When I mentioned that the new icon would just be the areal one, most asked "why?".
>
> Talking to Linux long(er) time users and mentioning the UM change (no easy icon, popunder window) they all get scared.
> I'll let you know more after next classes and our monthly LoCoTeam meeting.

That's an interesting feedback, thanks. However, I would not treat Linux
Class students as representative for the population of all potential
Ubuntu users :) Of course they would not have any problem with the old
icon, neither would you or I. I'm pretty sure they'll get used to the
new icon very quickly, too.

The request to change the icon came originally from various OEMs we
cooperate with, backed up by their studies (not available for public,
unfortunately). We'll now be very closely looking at all feedback we're
getting for the new icon. I encourage everyone to keep their eyes open,
too :)

Many thanks,

Mat