Removing tor from jaunty (unmaintained)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 9 10:19:30 UTC 2009

Hello all,

a while ago we discussed how to maintain tor in stable releases [1].

However, it turns out that this doesn't work after all, since we have
nobody who actually maintains tor in Ubuntu. Thus the current
hardy/intrepid versions are horribly out of date. Please see

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tor/+bug/328442

Thus I propose that we remove tor from jaunty. It's better to have
people install from third-party sources and keep it updated from
there, than to have them use insecure old versions in stables.

If you feel attached to tor and would consider maintaining it, please
speak up now.

Thank you!

Martin