That upstart Upstart

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Jun 30 09:48:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 02:56 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 04:11:53PM -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> > Doesn't this mean that rcS is stopped before /etc/init.d/rcS is ever
> > exec'd, since the runlevel is set before the script is run?  In
> > particular, when exactly does the runlevel event stop the script?
>
> I think the 'stop on runlevel' is actually just there to make sure rcS
> doesn't keep on trying to start, but Scott could clarify that.

The rcS script might run a root shell (sulogin, usually) in cases of
error - the filesystem check failing is a good example here.  The user
might type "shutdown" at this shell.

Or the user might simply press Ctrl-Alt-Delete while rcS is running.

The "stop on" therefore makes sure it's all killed so the system can run
the shutdown scripts.

> (For the avoidance of doubt, this isn't me arguing that the job format
> shouldn't be better documented, but rather that if you're searching for
> documentation because you want to write Upstart jobs and use them in
> production rather than because you want to help with development, you
> may be on the wrong track just now.)

Indeed, the lack of detailed documentation is /slightly/ deliberate ;-)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com