Provide a GUI option in the installer to enable popcon

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Wed Jun 24 22:19:45 UTC 2009

Il giorno mer, 24/06/2009 alle 20.52 +0100, Andrew Sayers ha scritto:
> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > Andrew Sayers wrote on 23/06/09 17:55:
> >
> > We're constantly trying to make the Ubuntu installation process simpler.
> > And explaining the Popularity Contest in an understandable way, in the
> > installer which is completely out of context, would be quite difficult.
> >
> > As part of the AppCenter design work, I hope to make the popcon option
> > more prominent in context.
>
> That's a good point, and AppCenter looks very interesting indeed.  I
> look forward to playing with it!
>
> 	- Andrew
>

>From the appcenter wiki page:

"If Linux has an Achilles heel, from the point of view of a Windows
user, it's installing new software. Be prepared to enter a new world in
which Windows Update is a model of simplicity by comparison, and in
which you may feel as if you need a Ph.D. in physics merely to install
new applications or updates.

— Preston Gralla, “Living free with Linux: 2 weeks without Windows”,
Computerworld"

I am surprised: all the people I ever heard talking of ubuntu, including
non-geeks, appreciate the simplicity of adding and removing
applications. Perhaps that comment is a bit outdated even if, since the
beginning of times, comparing synaptic with windows tools is a laughable
joke, to say the least.

V.