Pidgin and Yahoo! login

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 16:17:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 11:54:27 am Adrian Perez wrote:
> > There's any chance or prospect to integrating the new Yahoo! protocol
> > support present in new upstream Pidgin 2.5.7 into jaunty-updates or
> > maybe jaunty-proposed-updates? We are all experiencing login problems
> > with Yahoo! as you people may know.
>
> New protocol? I thought it was just a different IP address, based on
> discussion
> in the bug report.

According to the pidgin developer blog [1], they used an old authentication
method for Yahoo which is now being phased out of the yahoo servers. They
were going to upgrade to the new authentication method with 2.6.0 but the
sudden change at Yahoo's end caught them by surprise, so they backported the
changes and called it 2.5.7.

I don't use yahoo myself, so I can't really comment, but as a side note
2.5.7 also fixes the annoying and very visible bug where pidgin appears on
every workspace [2]. I would definitely think it worthwhile to consider this
for an SRU.

Evan

[1]
http://theflamingbanker.blogspot.com/2009/06/some-clarification-on-yahoo-issues.html